My Bullet Journal Journey // aka bring on the cringe

August 11, 2019

Happy Sunday!

This is a post that I've been wanting to do for a looooong time now, but have never had the chance or the motivation . . . until now. *dramatic music plays* I am so excited!

In January 2019, I started bullet journaling. I had researched it for YEARS, I kid you not, but I had never really had reason to start until then.

And I found that the bullet journal method is SO HELPFUL.

So I figured I'd just go through a few of my spreads and show you some of the mistakes I made and lessons I learned along the way.

Brace yourselves. This is not your typical "perfect" bullet journal. XD


Before we begin, I should probably clear up a question that some of you may be asking:

What is a bullet journal? 

I know that there are a few definitions on the Internet that work fine, but I'm not going to use any of them. XD

Instead, here is My Definition: a bullet journal is a combination of scrapbook, planner, journal, tracker, or whatever you can think of. It can literally be used for anything - scheduling out your day, tracking your exercise routine, planning out novels, anything. The possibilities are limitless.

I chose to try bullet journaling because all the other planners I was trying did not really work for me. I was drawn to the customization feature bullet journals have - because, in case you didn't know, you draw out literally everything. Nothing comes pre-printed. XD

(I'm not sure what I was thinking. I'm the least artistic or aesthetic person ever. But somehow this method works???? It must be magic.)

When I first began, I decided to use a really old, unused journal as my trial case. For some reason, I thought that the pink dotted lines on the paper would look great with the blue pen I decided to use.

It did not.

But you know what? You can do anything with your bullet journal - which includes using weird, ugly color combinations. No one will yell at you probably. It's your journal. Do whatever you want with it.

Here's one of my weekly spreads (or, I suppose I called it my "Daily Codex" *shrugs*):

also I'm just noticing this, but I wrote down when my Flash obsession began. I'M SO HAPPY

This lined journal worked great for me for the first two months. It was my place to explore different kinds of layouts (commonly called spreads).

However, lined journals have their limitations. You can't draw any small graph layouts with ease, such as this:

my color-coding skills are . . . interesting

Well, I suppose you can, but it is a lot harder than you think - and the perfectionist side of my brain HATED to even look at that page.

I'm not saying that you can't use lined or graph notebooks. But for me, a dot grid notebook offered a better alternative.

So, when I was positive that I would like bullet journaling, I ordered the least expensive dot grid journal just in time for the month of March. (I didn't realize how EXPENSIVE those things are. It's insane.)

my current journal w/ a pen and marker I use!

IS THIS COOL OR WHAT?

And with the dot grid system, I was able to create such spreads like the Year in Pixels, where I fill in a square every day with the color that corresponds to my overall mood:

some parts are blurred only because they contain Inhumans spoilers. XD

I could also create habit trackers like these, which look REALLY cool at the end of the month:

these also took FOREVER to draw out, but I think the end result was worth it XD

However, using a dot grid brought on a new wave of challenges, such as being forced to count the number of dots to make sure that each side of a page was equal in length. (Spoiler alert: it is VERY tedious.)

I was also still in the experimentation phase of journaling, so I tried out this timetable spread I'd seen on Savannah's blog. This is how far I got:


This just goes to show that you don't have to finish any spread. Again, who cares if you do?

I would also like to point out that it doesn't matter if your spread looks good or not. Believe me, I had to learn this lesson again and again and again. Take this June/July title page:

I accidentally started writing "June" where "July" was supposed to go and I panicked

I did somewhat manage to correct my mistake, but alas, I do not own erasable markers. XD

Then again, bullet journaling does not require specific supplies. You don't need to own the Muji pens or the Zebra mildliners or whatever those popular bullet journalers use. I just use a black or blue pen and some markers I have at home. XD

Now, we're going to move to my favorite part of bullet journaling: THEMES.

Guys. If you bullet journal, themes are a LIFESAVER and also super fun! The idea is for all your pages from one month to be inspired from something. During May, I took inspiration from Alea Harper's Instagram and made May Avengers Month (because #endgame). I'm pretty proud of the results.

my favorite title page I've ever made XD

my month at a glance! ft. marvel quotes from Clint and Loki

on your left is my "reasons to be happy" page, and on the right is my habit tracker, ft. quotes from Dr. Selvig and Cap

Behind the scenes, those pages took like FIVE HOURS to create. If you're going to embark on something of this magnitude, I would recommend for you to be patient. And if you don't know how to draw something, practice first. I drew that big Avengers "A" out on a separate sheet of paper first before putting it into my journal. It was totally worth the hour of drawing I needed.

.........

I want to end this post with a couple more tips if you want to start bullet journaling:

Your journal does not have to be perfect. I feel like I must reiterate this over and over, because a perfect journal does not exist. For every spread you see online, there's another spread that was never shown to the Internet. My weekly spreads are DISASTERS (and also contain private information, which is why there aren't really pictures of them XD). And even the pictures I've shared today aren't perfect.

Practicality > Prettiness. Seriously. It doesn't matter if you have perfect calligraphy, font-like handwriting. If you can't find anything in your journal, it's all pointless. The bullet journal is a tool, not an art canvas - no matter what you might see on YouTube. (I mean, unless your bullet journal is for sketches. In that case, you can throw practicality out the window. XD)

If other planners aren't working for you, maybe try the bullet journal out! It's pretty fun.

But, obviously, it won't work for everyone. This is just my experience.

XD

(and if you're interested, I could write a "how-to" post for bullet journaling! Let me know in the comments!)

probably my favorite quote of all time

-Nicole

What type of planners do you guys use? Do any of you bullet journal? Do you want a how-to post for bullet journaling? XD Let's talk!

You Might Also Like

52 comments

  1. Your bullet journal looks amazing. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. *GASP* It's so pretty! I LOVE THE MAY TITLE PAGE AND I AM STEALING THE IDEA.
    I should post some of my bullet journal pages...but mine is just organized madness...
    The year is pixels is fun to do but I never remember to fill it in...I also like the sleep trackers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasp* Thank you! YES, DO IT! AND THEN SHOW ME BECAUSE I WANT TO SEE IT!!!!!
      You totally should! Organized madness is honestly fun to look at.... XD
      Haha, TRUE, I completely forgot to fill it in on vacation. XD Ooo, I haven’t tried tracking my sleep, although with my messed-up sleep schedule, I probably should....

      Delete
  3. I started a bullet journal at the beginning of the year, and I kept up with it for a couple of months...but then I kinda stopped because it felt more like a chore to me. :/

    However, lately I've been experimenting with my bullet journal and might start it again! *fingers crossed*

    Anyways, this post was so fun!! Your spreads are so pretty <3 <3 <3 Also, I think we have the same bullet journal XD XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, that’s cool! (If you start it up again, best of luck! But it definitely doesn’t work with everyone’s schedules. . . . XD)

      Thanks, Ash! (WAIT, SERIOUSLY???? THAT’S AMAZING!! *fangirls*)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! (Yup, XD)

      *fangirls with you*

      Delete
    3. (If you find you like it, maybe you could do a post on it? ;) ;) )

      *is still fangirling*

      Delete
  4. GASP A FITZ VACKER QUOTE *chokes on fangirling*
    This is so cool, Nicole! I've always loved notebooks and the like, and yours looks amazing. GAH you're so ORGANIZED :)

    thou art my new role model :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *is also choking* I KNOW RIGHT MY OBSESSION IS TOTALLY NOT BIG AT ALL
      Thank you so much, Lacy! XD I’ve never thought of myself as organized . . . Maybe I should share some of those weekly spread pics. ;)

      it would be my honor and privilege :) but THANK YOU

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful! I've never had a bullet journal--I much prefer planners--but I love this. <3 Especially that Avengers A. Definitely worth it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faith! Hey, if a planner works for you, DO IT!! Hehe, true, that definitely gave me motivation to keep doing it. . . . ;)

      Delete
  6. My sister bullet journals, too! It looks like a lot of fun, but honestly I have 0 patience with anything to do with drawing and straight lines. XD I love all the quotes you put in! Your May Avengers month is awesome!!! And you are learning Korean? How exciting! I tried for a long time, but then I lost patience. Surprising, right? ;) Yes, I would love to read a how to post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s so cool! Haha, true, I don’t have much patience for straight lines either - I just drew out some more spreads today and they are just atrocious. XD
      Thanks! (And I’m going to have to do another major theme like the Avengers - it was way too much fun. XD)
      Um . . . I’m attempting to learn Korean? It’s a lot harder than it looks . . . I can’t blame you for losing patience. ;) And I’ll definitely put a how-to post on the list!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of bullet journaling but could never in a million years have the patience, concentration, or will-power. Kudos to your beautiful journaling though, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, true, it definitely takes a lot of time and energy. Thanks, Kara! <3

      Delete
  8. That May spread was sooooo cool!!! But seriously, you totally missed out on a huge opportunity. You could have said "I can do this all May" and it would have been hilarious!

    Also, I'm kind of cracking up over some of your notes in your daily codex. "Never drink caffeine again" "figure out TIME MANAGEMENT!" #soundslikeme #wearebraintwins #exceptidrinkcaffeine

    But your journal looks amazing!! I've been thinking about doing a tour of mine once I start the new year and this post has motivated me to do just that. I've got it in a binder right now while I figure out what pages I want, but I'm planning to move it to a notebook in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! NOOOO WHAT HAVE I DONE. EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO CHANGE THE WORDING.

      *two minutes later*

      XD #wearetotallybraintwins (apparently when I drink caffeine and talk about books I spend all my energy in about 10 minutes and then become exhausted for the rest of the day XD)

      Aw, thanks! And YES, DO IT!!! I would love to see some of your spreads! And that’s a really good idea, honestly - that would work way better than a junk notebook. Genius!

      Delete
  9. NICOLE OMW I LOVE IT 🤭hahaha ok i was so happy when I saw that you were writing down your Flash seasons ⚡️The Avengers month is amazinggg I'm in love with those quotes xDD OMyGoOdNeSs that Fitz quote is going to make me tear up idek why (did i mention that fitz is gorgeous) (he is tho)
    Superr bujo! Looks like you make good use of it. (SLKDJF I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WHERE I HAVE SO MANY UNFINISHED SPREADS it bugs me but whatever xD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY WORD THANK YOU ISABEL :) hahaha I was wondering if anyone would appreciate that ⚡️Ack, same - and thank you! I WILL TEAR UP ALONGSIDE YOU (and I 100% agree)
      Thank you! (UGH YES IT IS THE WORRRRRST but I mean who cares XD)

      Delete
  10. Oh, I think your bullet journal looks pretty cool! I like that Avengers theame! I haven't did much bullet journal stuff, I have an art journal, but haven't did much in a while. The best way for me to keep up with things is to make a list or a calender for the specific thing and tape it on my wall. 😎

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Rakayle! :) Ooo, cool! What type of art do you like to do?
      Aaahhh. *nods* That sounds like a really good system!

      Delete
  11. Wow, that looks lowkey amazing, my friend. I’m slightly jealous cause I’m a disaster at making bullet journals look pretty. I gave it a try awhile back but stopped because it was too tedious and I didn’t like having to draw everything out. So now I mostly just use my phone calendar and a physical, weekly planner. It works for what I need and it’s pretty easy to maintain.

    Also, fun fact: I created a group for my Facebook page and blog people. You can go find it @BreeDawnWriter or Bree Dawn - Writer. Sorry for the weird self-promo, but I’m trying to build a following😫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bree! Haha, I feel you, parts of this are VERY tedious. (I spend 30 minutes drawing out a weekly spread and I was just DONE.) Sounds like a good plan! I’m glad you’ve found a system that works for you!

      Ooo, that sounds really interesting! Unfortunately, I’m not on Facebook, but I’ll definitely tell other blogger friends if I learn they have it. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh, so THAT'S what dot grid journals are for. I remember all the times I tried to find a pretty notebook only to open it and find all these dots inside instead of ruled lines, and I'd just go, 'what is this abomination?? Either leave it blank or give me lines!' XD So it's for a specific type of journaling. That makes more sense.

    I FORGOT that Loki quote OMG what a drama queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??? I was always confused what their point was, too. But yeah, I think one of the main reasons is bullet journaling. XD

      UGH yes his lines are SO OVERDRAMATIC ;)

      Delete
  13. Your bullet journal is lovely! I so agree with you on Practicality > Prettiness. I've been trying to keep that in mind to combat my "EVERYTHING HAS TO BE PERFECT" mindset and it's been making things so much less stressful. XD

    Ooh, I approve the Avengers title page and Fitz quote. *thumbs up*

    Great post, Nicole! It's inspired me to look into starting a bullet journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Kathryn! Haha, it’s definitely not easy. We can work through it together! :)

      I’m glad you approve! *salutes*

      Thank you again! I hope that you like it if you ever try it out. :)

      Delete
  14. I love journaling, but know if I could ever do bullet journaling. My hand writing is atrocious. Yours looks nice though!

    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, as long as you can read your handwriting . . . XD. And thank you! From what little I know of your planning system, it seems to work pretty well for you, so no need to change it! :)

      Delete
  15. LOVE the Fitz quote!!!

    I got a bullet journal a few months back, but I haven't touched it in a few weeks. 😂 (I'm SO bad at keeping up with those kinds of things.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you like it!!! ;)

      XD Hey, that’s okay! (It definitely took me some time to get used to regularly updating up.)

      Delete
  16. I love this!! I've been bullet journalling for over 3 years now and have loVED every minute of it! I'm going to start my 5th notebook soon, and I'm SO excited! The customization is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously??? That’s awesome! And I agree - the customization feature of it is the best part! What do you use your bullet journal for?

      Delete
  17. My bullet journal is waaaay less cool than yours. I'm even less artistic than you, apparently. ;D

    Great post!! It's super inspiring! Now I want to be more cool with my bullet journal than I currently am. Right now it is allllll practicality and NO pretty whatsoever. XD XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure yours is just as cool! I kinda do more aesthetic-y stuff with mine. XD But as long as it works for you, it’s good!

      Thanks, Lila! (Ooo, if you did a bullet journal post, that would be really cool!) AND TEACH ME YOUR WAYS. I NEED TO BE MORE PRACTICAL. XD

      Delete
  18. But your BJ is so epic!!! Like, you should see mine, mate, it's...barely even a BJ. It's basically a bunch of LISTS.

    And your Avengers theme is AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still qualifies! And if lists work for you, DO IT. :) But thank you!

      Haha, thanks!

      Delete
  19. It's so gorgeousssss. *heart eyes*
    I don't have an actual bullet journal but I do have a notebook that I've been using as a bullet journal. Speaking of which it's time to post that first chapter of my fanfiction on my blog......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahhh, thank you, McKayla! <33
      Hey, that totally counts! :) Oooo, and I’m officially intrigued..... *hops on over*

      Delete
    2. Oh wow, a fanfiction!!! I want to read it!! :D

      Delete
    3. Lacy - it’s really good so far!

      Delete
  20. Gah bullet journaling sounds just WOW. I don't have the time to do that... lol... I like to draw and write and make pretty things but I'm not much of a recorder. I don't record things. That's why bullet journaling would NOT work for me. But this post was so cool and some of your spreads were so nice-looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it’s really fun! 👍 It definitely doesn’t work for everyone. I honestly find it amazing that you can tell that just from reading this post! That is a true skill. But thank you!

      Delete
  21. I love everything about this! It looks like fun, and yours is pretty.
    Also love that you put a Loki quote in there. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Skye!
      XD Hehe, knew you would appreciate that. ;)

      Delete
  22. I literally have the same bullet journal story as you do. Except, I started a test journal last November. I love the Marvel pages! Wait, InHumans?!?!? Like, as in Quake? That sort of InHuman? because I haven't seen that show, but it seems really interesting to me. The reviews were bad though, so I don't know if it was any good or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that’s awesome! Bullet journal buddies!
      Aw, thank you!
      Actually, "Inhuman" was a reference to a book I’m writing! XD I know what you’re talking about, though. I started watching that show, but stopped about halfway through the first season because they brought in a lot of unnecessary *cough* content *cough*. The storyline was really interesting, though!

      Delete
    2. That's pretty cool!
      Actually, I think there was only one season of InHumans (and not even a whole one at that) That's really disappointing though! One of the reasons I like Agents of SHIELD is because it doesn't have a lot of "content" (relatively).

      Delete
    3. Thank you!
      Aaaaahhhh, I see. (I’ve always wanted to watch that one. XD) (I also think I should have clarified a bit in my previous comment - I meant that I had watched Agents of SHIELD. Sorry - that’s on me!) Does the content in AoS get better? When I watched it, they seemed to get a little bit . . . let's say heavy on the romance. XD

      Delete
    4. I mean, it depends on what you've seen, but I think I could count on one hand (but certainly on two) how many times there was...you know...
      There is a wedding during one episode, but it doesn't show anything. Plus, if you watch it on Netflix, you can just fast forward 10 seconds and you're usually good. It definitely has some bad parts, but like, I don't even think the whole series has as many inappropriate parts as one episode of Grey's Anatomy(or most primetime shows).

      Delete
    5. *nods head* Definitely good to know! I’ve been considering trying it again in a few months or so, so thank you for saying this! (And that’s probably true - though I’ve never seen Grey's Anatomy, I would agree with you on that. XD)

      Delete

Welcome to the comment section! I love hearing what you guys think and seeing you guys talk. Just remember to keep it clean, and as always, check back for my replies! <3
-Nicole