January 2021 Happenings

January 31, 2021

Happy Sunday!

Well, we've done it. We survived the first month of 2021! *confetti*

January . . . didn't go how I'd planned. I wasn't nearly as productive as I could have been, and life threw several curveballs that I never saw coming. But I also had some good times too, and I think that overall, this month was a success.

And I'm so glad that for the first time in five months, I'm writing Happenings posts again. These are some of my favorite posts to write, and you seem to like them too, so it's a win-win situation! XD


My 2021 started off . . . interestingly. Within an hour of waking up on Friday, January 1st, I slipped and fell on a patch of ice in our driveway, opening some bloody scratches on my foot.

I mean, if I wanted a sign of how the year would go, I couldn't find one any clearer than that. ;)

The first half of January was filled with Zoom and Discord calls. I was lucky enough to see some friends in person, and we played very competitive/aggressive MarioKart. I also cleaned out most of my room, which was a LOT of work. (However, I didn't get rid of any books. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. XD)

Halfway through the month, I started my second semester of college. I don't know why, but although I have less papers due this semester, I'm much more stressed. Seeing college friends has helped a lot, but I'm still dreading the next few months, to be honest. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Keeper of the Lost Cities. GUYS. WE MIGHT GET A MOVIE. THERE'S A DIRECTOR AND EVERYTHING. *SCREAMING* I LITERALLY CRIED WHEN I SAW THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. Just the thought of seeing Keefe and Sophie and Fitz and Dex on the big screen is enough to get me emotional. (And honestly, even if it's a trashy adaptation, it'll give me something to rant about, so no matter what, this movie cannot fail XD.)

WandaVision. A few of my friends were watching this Marvel TV show, and I decided to join them. And oh my word, is it good. It's a perfect combination of old sitcom and creepy mystery.

While Wanda and Vision have never been my favorite Marvel characters in any respect, I've grown to really love them in this show. Wanda's character in particular is AMAZING. And I even ship them a little now. Past Me is scandalized. XD

what I thought when
my expectation starting the show. I was not expecting the . . . um, odd moments XD

The Archived. This was the first V.E. Schwab book I've ever read, and oddly enough, I'd never even heard of it until Lila read it and screamed about it. I'm happy to report that it did not disappoint! It's a fantasy mystery novel, which isn't a genre mashup I hear about often. The characters were fantastic - Wesley, the emo comic relief/potential love interest was my favorite. And the themes of grief made me tear up several times.

brief warning of a love triangle in this book - HOWEVER, don't worry, I felt like it was kinda good somehow??? if you can deal with a few eye-roll moments, I think the ending makes up for it. XD

Attack on Titan. Good news, everyone: I've finally generated enough self-control to stop bingeing TV shows! After watching season 2 of AoT in two days in December, I decided to drastically cut down how much anime I watch a day. because season two emotionally destroyed me

Anyways, I'm about twelve episodes into season three, and I think this is my favorite season yet! We're finally getting backstory on Levi (#favoritecharacter), and the animation is stunning as usual. (Also, the first season 3 opening and ending? Fantastic. I cried several times just watching those.) It only took me four months, but I'm officially obsessed with Attack on Titan.

and obviously there's a major content warning (violence, gore, etc.) with this show XD

I mean, LOOK AT THIS ANIMATION. AND LEVI.
I've been plodding through the first real draft of the Inhumans this month, and boy, has it been a trip. I put it through major revisions during the last few months of 2020. So much has changed, but in a good way. I'm finally getting to write scenes that I'm excited about! And as someone who's never been the greatest at plotting, I think I've learned more about how to structure a story concisely and impactfully.

At the beginning of 2021, I planned to have the first book of the Inhumans drafted by the end of January. Ummm . . . so guess who's been speed-writing it this weekend because I'm far from finishing and the deadline is today?? XD Honestly, it's been fun to write the ending quickly, and it's really teaching me how to manage my time. But also, #stress.

Hopefully by the end of today I'll be sitting with a completed draft! If I do that, I'll update this post and tell you. :D

In case you missed some things, here's what I did this month on the blog:

And around the blogosphere . . .

Faith gave some tips on writing as an escape. It's something I've found myself doing recently, and her tips are super helpful. :D

Sarah and Julian announced the start of their new publishing house! I'm super excited to see what epic stories they bring to the table in the coming months and years. 

And Bethany wrote a fascinating analysis on why we love the antihero. It was inspired by Prince Zuko, so of course it's an amazing post. ;)


The first day of February, the month of Valentine's Day, is tomorrow. I don't know how we're already one month into 2021, but if we could survive January, I think we'll be just fine in February. XD

But! Today is also National Hot Chocolate Day, so end your January with a delicious beverage. I know I'm going to drink at least two cups. Might as well take the opportunity when it comes.

I hope your February is fantastic, and I can't wait to hear about all that you achieve! :D

-Nicole <3

Your turn! How did the first month of 2021 go for you? What WIP are you currently working on? Who's excited for the KOTLC movie??? Let's talk!

You Might Also Like

27 comments

  1. lovely post!! I love this so much. Also FAITH'S POST YESSSSSS. (always gotta scream about my bestie's content because she's amazing and posts the best things!!)

    Sounds like January was interesting for you. I hope February starts off better and brings you less stress <3 you've got this!!

    brooke
    :: words in her soul ::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! <3 and YESSS FAITH'S POST WAS AWESOME. (haha, you two are so iconic and BOTH post the most amazing thing ever <3)

      . . . well, I can't say it brought "less stress," but it definitely started off better. ;) I hope you had a good February as well!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh!! My friend and I literally freaked out when we found out there would be a Keeper movie!! I still can't believe it and I'm both super excited to see my fave characters in real life and also really scared they're going to mess it up! But I trust Shannon Messenger and her choice in director, so I think it'll be good!
    I was a little wary of WandaVision at first, but after episode 3 (and especially after this week's episode) I am hooked!
    I hope the rest of your semester goes well. My classes started two weeks ago and last week I was feeling super stressed for some reason, even though there wasn't a lot of work to do. Sometimes there are just off days and weeks where the classwork and stress feels overwhelming, but I hope there's less days like that throughout your semester. :)

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, yesssss! I'm still super excited, but a bit nervous. Hopefully Shannon Messenger helps keep the movie rooted. That's all I'm hoping for! :D
      Same here - I didn't think it would be NEARLY as good as it is.
      Aw, I'm sorry to hear that - I hope your stress levels are doing better now! Haha, yeah, there are definitely those days . . . *sighs* oh well, guess we have to just keep moving forward. :D

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I'm so sorry the year started off with you falling! I hope you're feeling better. <3

    OKAY BUT WANDAVISION. I am loving it SO. MUCH. It's just so quirky and DIFFERENT, but I love that about it! I'm seriously obsessed and basically my weeks are now just waiting for Fridays. It's terrible. XD Why can't they be like Netflix and just drop the whole season??? *siiigh*

    Oh my goodness, that is so exciting you're nearing the end of Inhuman's first draft! EEP. I hope wrapping it up goes well. YOU GOT THIS, GIRL!!! :D

    And I do hope your February proves to be an amazing one! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a lot better, thank goodness - but thank you. <3

      IT'S SO GOOD! Honestly, the Friday wait is SO relatable - going through the whole week waiting for the next episode is torture! But oh, well, at least it's letting us relish the show more. :)

      THANK YOU!! It's . . . still not done, sadly, but I'm hoping to be done VERY soon! (Then again, that's what I said last time. XD)

      Aw, and I hope your February was amazing too! (although it's closer to March now . . . so I hope your March is amazing! ;) )

      Delete
  4. Not getting rid of any books is 100% a good thing. XD (It just means that your whole book collection is composed of good ones!)

    I hope your second semester gets better! My second quarter is also more stressful than my first (well, stressful in different ways, I suppose. *glares at my calculus class*), so I guess...you're in good company? I'm in good company? XD

    I still need to read the KOTLC series! I've started it a couple of times, but the books always take so long to come in at the library that I've forgotten all but the most important parts of the previous book...which makes it a bit...strange to read. But I will for sure have to try again one of these days!

    I hope that your February goes really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, that's a good way of looking at it! :D

      *glares at your calculus class with you* math is evil honestly. XD But I hope your quarter is going all right so far! *hugs*

      Haha, I get that - requesting through the library can be so hit-or-miss when it comes to series. But I hope you reach a point where you can pick it back up again!

      Aw, thank you - and I hope your February went well! <3

      Delete
  5. Goodness, Nicole, that ice tried to take you out right at the start! o_o I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly (right? xD).

    Aw, I'm sorry you're feeling stressed this semester. Hopefully it'll get better. <3 Always praying for you!

    I still think Wanda and Vision's relationship is SUPER WEIRD, but the show does look pretty fun. xD The old-TV-show vibe is super intriguing. (though the trailers make me feel super sorry for Wanda because it looks like the girl's going CRAZY)

    I hope you have a lovely February! <3 We've got this semester! *high-five*

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it really did. XD (and it wasn't too bad - going through Mass wasn't fun, but it healed pretty quickly! :D)

      Aw, thank you - and I'm praying for you too <3 <3

      Honestly, if I think about it too much, Vision/Wanda's relationship is SO weird, but the way the show brings out both their personalities is just amazing. XD (and you should definitely feel sorry for Wanda, it's been rough XD)

      *high-five* I hope your semester is going well too! <3

      Delete
  6. My first month of 2021 was great, mostly because I turned 18! I also got to go back to hybrid learning for Concert Band, which has been lots of fun because virtual band just doesn't work.

    Oh, falling on ice is never fun. Last year I fell onto a patch of ice while I was riding my bike and bruised up my whole knee. Not fun.

    Good luck with the rest of your school year! I've been busy with my senior year of high school so the only writing I've been doing is for my class called the Research Paper.

    Have a wonderful February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo-hoo, congratulations on turning 18!! That's so exciting! And I'm glad you're able to have more in-person Band rehearsals - I can't imagine how virtual band went.

      Oh, no! That's definitely not fun . . .

      Good luck with the rest of your high school career as well! (Especially for your Research Paper class - I hope it's not too stressful for you :D)

      Delete
  7. KOTLC MOVIE!
    WANDAVISION!

    Ooh, writing! I've been writing a lot too lately. I have this totally realistic goal that I'll get to 10k in my WIP by tomorrow(I have about 4k now). I wish you luck with yours! Also, I've read 1 book by Victoria Schwab, and it wasn't my favorite. But, I'll probably give her another shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES AND YES!!! *screaming*

      Ooo, that's AMAZING - good luck with your writing! <3 And which book of hers did you read? I've heard amazing things about her, but every time I read a synopsis of her books I'm pretty torn. XD

      Delete
  8. IS WANDAVISION NOT AMAZING? *screams* I love EVERYTHING about it. I've actually been looking forward to it for MONTHS, ever since they announced it, so I'm thrilled they chose to release that one first.

    anyway, sounds like a tumultuous, but hopefully worthy month! <3 Remember you can text me anytime. (ALSO ACK THE KOTLC MOVIEEEEE)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S SO GOOD, OH MY WORD. *screams* And I'm honestly so happy they released it first too! :D

      haha, yep, that about sums it up! <3 And you too. (AND YES JFDKSJF:D SO EXCITED(

      Delete
  9. As I was reading this yesterday (Because you can see that it takes me awhile to comment...oops) my sister was making me hot chocolate and I didn't know how I top of things we were!:D

    Yowch, I'm sorry that one of the first things that you did in 2021 was fall! I love snow, but ice...not so much.

    Whoa, there's going to be a KotLC movie!??? I guess I need to finish reading the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *round of applause* you absolutely NAILED National Hot Chocolate Day!

      Snow is AMAZING, but . . . yeah, ice is a whole other beast. XD

      Yes, there will be!! Everything's still uncertain at this point, but within the next few years I'm hoping it hits the big screens!!

      Delete
  10. Wait, we might be getting a KOTLC movie???? *screams* Okay, that would be so, so, so amazing (as long as they cast the right people and pick a good director).
    Also, yay, WandaVision! Wanda is probably my favorite MCU character, so I was super excited for it. Also, I was so happy to see Emma Caulfield in it (she played a character I love on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so I loved seeing her in something else).
    Aw, I'm sorry college has been stressful. *hugs*
    Hope you have a great February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES WE MIGHT BE GETTING ONE!!! *screams with you* And Ben Affleck is directing - I'm not quite sure who that is, but he seems legit. XD
      Ahhhh, I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far too!! (Ooo, and that's super interesting - what character in WV does she play?)
      *hugs back* I'm doing a little better, but *shrugs*
      I hope you had a great February, too! <3

      Delete
  11. I made a bit pot of hot chocolate the other day just because of your suggestion!! It was definitely a good move!

    I'm currently watching WandaVision and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I'm hoping more of the mystery/action stuff takes over. I think I'd enjoy that more.

    I hope that February goes well for you and that you aren't too stressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so honored that you made hot chocolate because of me - I'm glad to hear it was a good move! :D

      *as Future Nicole, I can, in fact, confirm that this does happen XD*

      Same to you - I hope your February went well! <3

      Delete
  12. I love Wandavision glad you like it too! Hope your college stress goes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, yay, another fan! :D Aw, thank you - I think I'm doing better <3

      Delete
  13. I definitely didn't get as much writing done as I wanted in January and I still have a pile of blog posts to read, but otherwise it went really well! I learned new things about managing time and focusing more on looking after my mental health.

    Oh, WandaVision is AMAZING. I felt the same way as you. Wanda and Vision are not my favourites and them as a couple is so weird, but I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH. I can't wait for the next episode!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm glad your January went well even if you didn't make as much progress on writing! Sometimes those learning seasons are the most important <3

      AMEN TO THAT. It's SUCH a good show so far!!! <3

      Delete
  14. Sounds like you had a pretty good January! Except, of course, falling on the ice, not being able to be with friends, and college stress. I hope things are going better now! <3

    Faith's and Bethany's posts were amazing! And hey, anything inspired by Zuko is gonna be good! XD

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the comment section! I love hearing what you guys think and seeing you guys talk. Just remember to keep it clean, and as always, check back for my replies! <3
-Nicole